Sunday, March 1, 2015

John Smid, former Exodus leader, finds a way forward

I was distraught, anxious, and hopeless. A friend said I needed a strategy to walk through what I was facing in association with being gay and in a straight marriage. I had no idea what I was going to do. I had tried a counselor and a counseling group, but that left me feeling even more hopeless and totally unhealthy emotionally. The counselor and the group seemed to think I should spend years working through my wounded childhood. What I wanted was some help now in decision making  regarding my marriage and my future.

That very afternoon, Anthony Venn Brown wrote me an email just to see how I was doing. He had written before and knew what I was going through. I was shocked when he said, "didn't you know I have a coaching program to help men develop a strategy regarding coming out and facing the dilemma of  what to do if they are in a heterosexual  marriage?"

I was totally stunned. He used the word strategy, just as my friend had earlier in the day. But this time, someone offered a formulated program just for me. I was hopeful for the first time in a long time.

After the initial free consultation I decided to go ahead with  the twelve week program. Three months at the beginning seemed like a long time but it went extremely quickly and looking back I realize I actually needed all that time to thoughtfully consider what would be life changing decisions for me and my wife. Anthony reminded me that it was not his role to tell me what I should do with my life but to help me discover what the answers were for me and my situation. Not really knowing  what the final outcomes would be Anthony just asked to walk it one week at a time.

Part of the program included writing down my dreams, wishes, and goals in a variety of areas of my life. This was extremely hard to do because I had suppressed any notion of a dream, a wish, or a goal. I couldn't see any way out but I attempted to  the write something each day and came up with a few things that I might want to have, to do, or to accomplish.

Then as we worked through several more weeks, I came to the part where Anthony helped me be clear about my personal life values. I was surprised to see that my personal values aligned so much with the ministry values that I had developed several years earlier. But this time, through Anthony's help, I began to see a real meaning in how these values had impacted my life for many years and also how I had lived in conflict with virtually all of the 12 values. No wonder I was anxious and conflicted!  I could see that if I didn't bring my life into concert with my personal values I would continue to live in emotional turmoil.  None of the other counseling situations even touched on the real root of my personal conflict.

Now I was clear about what was really important to me the next step was  to write a letter about my life ten years from now. Since I had written out so many dreams, wishes and goals, this helped create an ideal situation that might actually be true ten years from now. I was in tears while I wrote it out. Tears of hope, tears of desire. I was so encouraged that it might be possible for me to actually have a life of joy and peace; something I'd previously decided was impossible.

The next steps were to write  a five and finally one year letter. The one year letter was the hardest. Anthony said that out of the one year letter we would set goals to implement in the near future.
I could see very clearly that the most urgent goal was to bring a finality to my marriage of 24 years it was a major part of the conflict with my life values.  I wasn't living the most important life values  to me of freedom, honesty, and surely not authentically. This had to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment