Friday, July 31, 2009

Coming out at 61

I have gained the insight, clarity and motivation to come out as a gay man through working with Anthony Venn-Brown and the “Dare to Be Your Best” program.  I realized I could no longer hide my true sexual orientation and my gay feelings. This is remarkable in that I have been married to my wife for over 35 year and recently had my 61st birthday. 

During the course of the program, I was able to honestly evaluate my current life position and what I wanted to change.  In that I couldn’t change my sexual orientation (it was not a “phase”), I decided to transform my present relationship.  Working with my coach, I developed a strategic plan incorporating my dreams and goals in all areas of my life, not just relating to my sexual orientation.  With Anthony’s help I was also able to develop a tailored coming out plan that is at my pace and respectful of all involved. It’s been some time since I felt so in control of my life and future.

I have begun my transition to an authentic and real life, being true to myself and allowing my wife to do the same.  There is no more need for secret keeping and living in my self-constructed prison of the closet….this process all began with an e-mail to Coach Anthony for a complimentary session after reading his autobiography! 

It was especially helpful to know that Anthony did not have any agenda except to help me find out what was right for my life but also have the support of someone who has insight into my journey to be true to myself.

Bill
Retired US Naval Officer

No comments:

Post a Comment